Monday, July 28, 2014

The Chicken that laid on golfballs

On our Homstead we have some pretty silly chickens.  Today I am going to tell you about our chicken who laid on golf balls.  Now you must problably be wondering why would golf balls be in our chicken coop.  Well, our chickens used to eat eggs.  My mom wanted to do something about it but did not want to kill them so we put golf balls in the chicken coop.  She had read somewhere that if you put golf balls in there then when they go to peck them it will hurt there beaks.  It worked and soon our chickens stopped eating eggs. Well, we left the golf balls in the chicken coop just in case.  One day when I was doing animal chores I noticed that a chicken was sitting on what seemed like eggs.  I was excited hoping she would hatch some chicks.  A few days later I was doing animal chores again and I saw that the chicken was still sitting there. I went inside and told my mom. We were both excited.  About a month later I was doing animals when I noticed that the chicken was still sitting there.  I went inside and looked in one of my mom's books on homesteading for how long it takes for chicks to hatch.  In the book it said around 21 days. I knew that the chicken had been laying longer then that so I went outside to check and see if they were bad.  I checked under the chicken and to my suprise I found golf balls.  The poor chicken had been sitting on golf balls for over a month! She looked really skinny and weak.  I picked her up out of the laying boxes and put her by the food. She ate and drank like crazy.  I picked up the golf balls and went inside and told my mom.  We laughed together and felt sorry for the chicken.  Moral of the story - make sure that you're chicken is laying on eggs and not golfballs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment